now and just shy of a week left to finish up. It’s still a bit daunting, this painting, based on my 3D scans is very involved and I really want to get it perfect. These spray guns we bought to speed things up only cost $39 NZ each and have changed the game completely! 😂 for all the different systems and ways of doing things here, with help from our local assistant Nancy we’ve been working it out! Thanks @jazzysf for documenting all the behind the scenes too!
and the scale and logistics involved in this project is pretty insane. In order to paint my sections of the project they had to build a specific structure to erect and shelter it. Obviously that requires finding a space that can accomodate that. Without any real context or explanation I found myself walking into this area the first day and not really understanding the back story - but I’ve gone into depth on that in an earlier post. Here’s @ljb.nz & I making our morning walk through this area, documented by @jazzysf - more process stuff to come soon!
This is the first of a few clips I have lined up sharing my progress on this huge project in Shanghai - it’s been daunting and required a lot of resourcefulness already but luckily I’ve got a good team with me ( @jazzysf & @ljb.nz ). This clip is from the days ahead of them arriving when I was doing all my tests and starting to block things out.
. These past 3 were all from inside the abandoned factory next to where we are working right now. Still can’t make sense of what was made in there exactly despite the fact it looks like everyone just upped & walked out halfway through a work day and never came back!
I’ve been doing are just another step towards using technology as a means to push my thinking around light and form into territory beyond what I can merely imagine. They are also about surveying the urban environment as I explore it, allowing me to place some of the more blol and overlooked elements under a microscope and elevate them into something higher. I was speaking to another artist here in Shanghai for the project I’m currently working on, Vandal from Korea and he put it really succinctly, it’s about developing a new language. The thing I’ve realised while interpreting these back into paintings is the way the 3D scan streamlines objects into faceted shapes and the UV maps tend to handle the texture into a mix of photographic and smooth impressionistic regions is so graffiti looking. The incomplete scans with the jagged artifacts are both reminiscent of the torn poster textures and the exploded treatments I’ve been working into my paintings too. Let’s just say I’m really enjoying exploring this and I know it probably leaves a few of you confused as to what I’m up to but it’s important to indulge and I’m always happy to share my development.